A survey map showing the very large number of public houses in the town in 1896. Many of them closed in the next 100 years; those whose names are shown in bold were still open in 2008 when this map was compiled but a number have closed since then.
Many of the late Victorian pubs marked on the Survey map also made their own beer, selling it in their bars and from their ‘bottle and jug’ sections. Among these were the Prince of Wales, French Horn, Four Swans, and Black Boy. Two pubs owned by the Mauldon family, the Ballingdon White Horse and the Bull in Cross Street, developed as the heart of a much larger commercial brewing business, with the company buying up other pubs as well and operating them as tied houses. Although Mauldons brewery ceased trading in 1952 it was reborn in the 1980s and now operates on the edge of town in Churchfield Road.
The large number of pubs in the town reflected the facts that beer was the favourite drink of working men and that Sudbury was an industrial town in the late 19th century. At the end of a hard day railwaymen, silk workers, men from the lime pits, brickyards and maltings would repair to the pub to slake their thirst and enjoy social relaxation.
A4 colour map £1. Available from Sudbury Tourist Information Centre